it’s no secret that i love to bake. and i don’t mind a massive project that uses up every bowl and measuring cup in my kitchen. but sometimes you just want a simple, tasty dessert that comes together in a matter of minutes. well, you’re in luck because i’ve found the answer!
it’s these jammy crumb bars! here’s why they’re awesome:
they can be made with any fruit preserves or jam! my preference is to use a fresh batch of this easy jam because i know the jam isn’t going to be too sweet. but you can really use just about any fruit spread you have lying around and still get rave reviews. i most recently made these bars with a gorgeous batch of red currant jam. aren’t those currants just the most beautiful little jewels?!
they are so easy! you make one simple dough which is used for both the base of the bar AND the crumb topping. genius!
you only have to use only one bowl! yup. your dishwasher (or in my case, my husband) can take a day off because you won’t have a pile of dishes after making these.
they a guaranteed crowd-pleaser! the recipe makes a whole big 9×13″ pan of buttery, fruity, crumbly deliciousness. take them to a barbecue or picnic & you won’t be bringing any home.
plus you already have everything you need to make these! the short list of ingredients are probably just sitting in your pantry waiting to be used.
lastly, they are infinitely customizable! depending on the season and your flavor cravings, you can make these with just about any fruit or berry combination known to humankind. go wild with rhubarb & ginger or raspberry & peach! they’re absolute perfection with black & blueberries. this fall try them with pumpkin or apple butter. you won’t regret it.
i recommend making these bars the day/night before you need them. something about sitting overnight really helps them to reach their ultimate potential. however, these bars don’t discriminate. they’ll eat fresh out of the oven too.
wait, what are you doing still reading this nonsense? you should be baking these already!
jammy crumb bars
recipe adapted from allrecipes
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 3 c light spelt flour or unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- zest of one lemon
- 1 c (two sticks) butter, chilled & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pint of small batch refrigerator jam or any other fruit jam/preserves
- preheat and oven to 350 degrees f. grease a 9×13″ rectangular cake pan.
- in a large bowl, mix together the sugar, baking powder, flour, salt & lemon zest. using a pastry blender, incorporate the butter & egg until the mixture resembles damp sand.
- press half of the dough onto the greased pan to form a nice even layer. i like to use a heavy smooth-bottomed measuring cup but you can use your hand and some waxed paper if you don’t have one.
- spread the jam in an even layer over the surface of the crust. if your jam is quite thick you can water it down a tad to make it spreadable. crumble the remaining dough onto the jam in an even layer.
- bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is a light shade of golden brown. allow to cool completely & cut into squares. the bars will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.